A Summary of Dancing at Pennsic 22
... as remembered by Mistresss Rosina:
Lord Guillaume de San Marino was in charge of dance, Lord Miklos Sandorfia
was in charge of the music for dancing.
Tues was the Blue Feather Ball (as I recall an actual ball with dancing)
Wed was a Renaissance ball, all pre-1600 - don't have a dance list, but
included Petit Vriens. We didn't do Rostiboli until afterwards, I believe.
Fri was the Playford Ball. The ball list was:
- Set 1 = Carolingian Pavan,
Montard, Branle Suite (Cassandra, Pinagay, Charlotte, War), Horses, Pease,
- Set 2 = Female Saylor, Black Nag, Hearts Ease,
Sellengers, Picking of Sticks, Gathering Peascods, Trenchmore,
- Set 3 =
Black Alman, new Alman, Madam Sosiial's, Earl of Salisbury, Saltarello,
Gelosia, Hole in the Wall (the musicians held a fund raiser for the
chirurgeons, charging 1$ for each repetition, but also had a bucket to pay
1$ for one less. They raised over 100$, and believe actually had more in
the against, but decided that they would have a riot if they didn't play
- Set 4 = Upon a Summer's Day, Rufty Tufty, John Tallow's Canon, Jenny
Pluck Pears, Dargason, requests (we did Old Mole, at least.)
Classes were held Mon Aug 16 to Fri Aug 20. Most of the dance classes did
not make it into the booklet.
Dance classes listed were:
Classes not listed in the booklet, but planned, included the following.
(Info from my scribbled notes, so spelling and other details iffy):
- Wed, p.m. (?) = Sources & Resources for Dance Reconstruction - Baron Niall
McKennet Believe this was actually held 12-2.
- (also one 2 hr middle eastern dance class)
- Mon 12-2 = Galliard, La Volta, Honeysuckle Alman - Master Robyyan
- Mon 3-5 = Contrapasso in a circle - Mara, & Alegrezza d'Amore, supposed to
be taught by Richard of Salisbury, but he didn't make it, Roswitha (now
Rosina) taught it.
- Mon 6-7:30 = How to teach effectively - Guillaume, & How to teach
15th-century - Mara
- Tue 12-2 = Petit Vriens + Rostiboli - Roswitha (now Rosina)
(I believe Henry of Maldon may have had a class same time same place -
there were scheduling problems)
- Tue 3-5 = Jaloxia, Leoncello Nuova - Aislynn Frylocc - may have been cancelled
- Tue 6-7:30 = 16th-c step workshop - Sion
- Wed 3-5 = Bizzaria d'Amore + Dolce Amoroso - Guillaume, & Coranto - Miklos
- Wed 4-6 = Branles etc - Henry of Maldon
- Wed 6-7:30 = Late Step Workshop - Justin (just a discussion?)
- Thu 12 = may have been a dance class?
- Thu 2:30 = ECD
- Thu 4:30-6 = ECD - Henry of Maldon
- Thu 6:30 = How to Teach Dance
- Fri 12 = ECD
- Fri 2:30 = Cascarda discussion - Sion
- Fri 6:30 = Choreography in period style - Sion
- Sat 4-6 = ECD + Folk - Henry of Maldon
Return to the Pennsic Dance Homepage.
Blount of Isenfir (Greg Lindahl)