Pennsic 43 School of (European) Dance Revels
This year, we have had more than a dozen people volunteer to host
dance activities for the Pennsic School of European Dance. Thank you
all for your fantastic ideas and hard work!
The tentative schedule is
- Friday, August 1, 8-10pm: SCA Dance History Ball -- Baroness Gwenllyen the Minstrel & Baron Maximilian der Zauberer
- Saturday, August 2, 10am–noon: Children's Ball -- Lady Rebecca da Firenze
- Saturday, August 2, 9pm: Dance Games -- Master Gregory Blount
- Sunday, August 3, 2pm: Flash Mob (practice) -- Mistress Felice Debbage and THL Margherita Battistina
- Sunday August 3, 4–5pm: Dance Staff & Faculty Social
- Sunday August 3, 9 pm: Beginners' Ball -- Saltatoris Guild
- Monday, August 4, 9 pm: Grand Masked Ball -- Pennsic Staff
- Tuesday, August 5, noon, In Pursuit of Playford -- Lady Sonya Flickr
- Tuesday, August 5, 7pm: Dancing Teens -- Lord Luther Von Lozengia, assisted by Mistress Alina of Foxwood
- Tuesday, August 5, 9 pm: To Italy and Beyond -- Lady Gianna Vettori & Lady Ginevra Boscoli
- Wednesday, August 6, 3pm: Dancing at the Villa: A Caroso Ball -- Maurin
- Wednesday, August 6, 9 pm: Dancing with the Pennsic Stars -- THL Margherita Battistina
- Wednesday, August 6, 11 pm: Brawlfest -- Micha von Wolgemut
- Thursday, August 7, 9pm: Numerological Ball -- THL James Blackcloak
SCA Dance History Ball
Please join us for the SCA Dance History Ball!
The SCA will soon celebrate 50 years. Help us remember those years through
our favorite dances. We'll dance some of the old favorites and learn some
new ones that may become our favorites. We'll tell some stories between
the sets. The dance community has come a long way from folk dances to
deciphering period manuscripts. Join us as we relive some of this history.
(Please note the 8pm start time - don't be late!)
Dance and be merry! This is the perfect ball for children, beginners,
and experts wanting to have fun. Dances will have just enough
instruction to keep everyone on the right foot. All youth in
attendance require a responsible adult to be present.
Come to an evening filled with games and dance! Games that are
dances? Dances that are games? Games with dancers? Social, gamified
dances! We'll have all that and more.
Meet in the Dance Pavilion at 2pm Sunday Aug 3 to practice; performance t.b.d
Dance Staff and Faculty Social
Everyone is invited to meet the faculty and staff who make the School
of European Dance happen! Light refreshments will be provided and a
group picture of all willing staff and teachers will be taken.
Not a dancer? Or have two left feet? Then this is the ball for you!
The Beginners' Ball lets you explore the joys of dance without needing
any experience. This is a teaching ball, meaning every dance will be
explained. And, like all the dance activities at Pennsic, you don't
need to bring a partner! Music and light refreshments will be
Dances will be: Amoroso, Annello, Belle Qui Pavane, Black Alman, Black Nag, Gathering
Peascods, Gelosia, Half Hannikan, Hearts Ease, Horses Bransle, Jenny Pluck
Pears, Lorayne Alman, Madame Sosilia’s Alman, Montard Bransle, New Bo Peep,
Pease Bransle, Petit Vriens, Queens Alman, Official Bransle, Rostiboli
Gioioso, Rufty Tufty, Sellenger’s Round, Upon a Summer’s Day, Washerwoman’s
Dancing Teens: A Revel for the Young and Fun!
You can dance if you want to - dancing is not only some of the most
fun anyone can have in the SCA, but it is an activity anyone can do!
This is the perfect ball for teens and anyone who wants to have
fun. Dances will have enough instruction to get everyone on the dance
floor. Light refreshments will be provided (yes, free food!). Music
provided by an open band led by Baron Gebhard Rauten.
- Set 1: Sellingers Round, Anello, Montard Bransle, Fedelta, New Bo Peep, Peas Bransle, Petit Vriens, Black Nag
- Set 2: Amoroso, Gathering Peascods, New Yere, Horses Bransle, Belfiore, Half Hannikin, Alta Regina, Double Bransle
Grand Masked Ball
Don your finest clothing and a lovely mask and join us for a night of
decadence, disguise and dancing! (masks admired, but not required)
There will be music, light refreshments and plenty of dancing, and a
prize for the attendee who best displays kingdom heraldry in your
clothing. (Note: in the Dance Pavilion & on Monday this year!)
- Set 1: Gathering
Peascods, Montarde Branle (Arbeau), Bizzaria d'Amore,
Petit Vriens, Hide Park, Petit Rose, Official Branle, Contrapasso, a Pavan & Galliard
- Set 2: Black
Alman, Villanella, Hearts Ease, Rufty Tufty, Gelosia,
Pease Branle, Chirantana, Goddesses, Piva
- Set 3: Ly Bens,
Gracca Amorosa, Horses' Branle, Rostiboli, Parsons Farewell, Madam Cecilia
Alman, Amoroso, Whirligig, Cassandra Branle, Charlotte Branle
- Set 4: New Boe
Peep, La Castellana, Jenny Pluck Pears, Anello, Lorayne Alman, Upon a Summer's Day, Washerwomans
To Italy and Beyond
This ball will feature dances from around the Italian peninsula.
- Set 1: Lorayne Alman, Rostiboli Gioioso, Frog Galliard, Petit Rose, Anello,
Gelosia. Turkelone, Alta Regina
- Set 2: New Alman, Gracca Amorosa, a Galliard (New Yeere’s Gift), Fedelta, a
Bransle Suite, Danse de Cleves, Petit Riense, Contrapasso in Due
- Set 3: Piva, Jouyssance Vous Donneray, another Bransle Suite, Amoroso,
Bizzaria d’ Amore, Black Alman, Marchesana, La Castellana
A Caroso Ball At Casa Bardicci
A Caroso Ball will be held in the ballroom of Casa Bardicci. Don't miss
this opportunity to dance in the villa by the lake!
Dancing with the Pennsic Stars
This year, the Pennsic School of European Dance is celebrating the
novice dancer! To highlight this is a Renaissance dance competition
for novice dancers of noted rank and reputation within the Society for
Creative Anachronism: Dancing with the Pennsic Stars.
Come out and watch the biggest and brightest stars of the SCA compete
in a Renaissance dance competition! Each couple will consist of an
experienced SCA dancer and an SCA "star" with little to no Renaissance
dance experience. Contestants will perform dances from a variety of
genres, competing for judge’s points and audience votes.
Music will be provided by Istanpitta.
It's Musicians VS Dancers, an all out, knock down, drag out fight to the
Micha von Wolgemut leads the Musician's Pit so be prepared for some fun;
it's musician's choice and anything goes as long as it's some form of
"branles" or brawl.
The dances of each set, in alphabetical order, shall be:
- Set 1: Amoroso, Contentezza d'Amore, Gracca Amorosa, La Castellana, Ly Bens, New Bo Peep, Queen's Alman, Rostiboli
- Set 2: Anello, Bizzaria D'Amore, Cuckolds All a Row, Heart's Ease, Lo Spagnoletto, Parsons Farewell, Rufty Tufty
- Set 3: Boatman, Colonesse, Furioso all'Italliana, Gelosia, Jenny Pluck Pears, Montarde Bransle (for 6), Whirligig
- Set 4: Contra Passo, Goddesses, Hyde Park, If All the World Were Paper, Lord of Carnavann's Jegg, Newcastle, Pizochara
In Pursuit of Playford
Please join us for a ball that is open to all levels of dancers (partners
and fancy garb not necessary). We will focus on English Country Dances from
John Playford's The English Dancing Master. We will enjoy dances at all
levels, there will be dances appropriate for beginners as well as more
challenging dances for advanced dancers. Music will be provided by an open
band assembled at Pennsic. We welcome musicians to join us in our
celebration. In addition, there will be light refreshments available.
Set List (As time allows):
New Bo Peep,
Picking Up Sticks,
Upon A Summers Day,
Jenny Pluck Pears
Return to the
Webbed by Gregory
Blount of Isenfir (Greg Lindahl)